Tuesday, December 14, 2010

December 14

Okay, today I am double dipping a bit:

I am sitting alone in a Corner Bakery booth, ear buds firmly in place, Mason Jennings drowning out the many conversations taking place around me.  In my hand, alternates a red pen and a fork, taking bites of pasta in between essay comments and grading.

I have a lovely seat by the window that frames the courtyard containing seasonally decorated trees.  It’s quite picturesque really – there is just enough of a breeze that the rustling leaves create a subtle, almost star-like twinkling effect with the white lights.

In contrast to my rather gloomy Saturday, tonight I do not feel lonely or lacking.  There is no melancholy, no invisible weight, no real longing aside from the wish that these essays will magically grade themselves.  No, tonight, after a long day of kids, meetings, grades, lectures, and tests, I am at peace.  Tonight, sitting here in my corner of the world, I am content.

No comments:

Post a Comment